Guide to Jewelry Finishes
An often subtle yet crucial detail to men’s rings and jewelry, the finish of a piece refers to its surface treatment or appearance. Here are some of the most popular as well as up-and-coming types of finishes for both traditional and contemporary items of jewelry for men.
Types of Jewelry Finishes
- Brushed - A brushed finish has a textured matte look, and is a great choice for those seeking a ring that will stand up to the bumps and scrapes of everyday wear. This aptly named finish looks as though it has been treated with the bristles of a brush.
- Satin - A popular choice for contemporary jewelry, the satin finish has a matte appearance that is very similar to a brushed finish. The main distinction between the two jewelry finishes is that a satin finish should feel smooth to the touch like a polished finish, while a brushed finish should have some texture.
- Polished - The most common finish seen in men’s rings and jewelry, a polished finish is attractively bright and reflective. While a polished finish can beautifully showcase the jewelry material, it can also display flaws or scratches more easily.
- Hammered - A hammered finish can lend an artisan look to nearly any item of jewelry, and has a bumpy surface that appears as though it were hammered out by hand. Most hammered finishes are matte or satin. The micro-hammered finish is a frequently seen type of hammered finish that offers smaller bumps and dimples.
- Sandblasted - Also sometimes referred to as a rough finish, a sandblasted finish has a subtly bumpy and matte look. The sandblasted finish differs from the hammered finish both in methodology for creating the finish as well as the end result, which resembles a material blasted over a period of time by fine bits of sand.
- Wired - Boasting an eye-catching matte look, a wired finish gives the appearance of having been scratched or beaten repeatedly with a thin piece of wire. Like the swirled and sandblasted finishes, this unique jewelry finish is most often seen in contemporary items of jewelry.