What is Argentium Silver?
Argentium silver rings are becoming an increasingly popular choice for men’s wedding bands and fashion rings alike. So what is Argentium silver, and how is it different than regular sterling silver? Read on to learn more about this superior sterling silver alloy and why it is becoming a highly sought after material for men’s rings.
Argentium Silver Information
- Argentium silver is a sterling silver alloy (meaning that it is 92.5% pure silver), but replaces some of the copper commonly used as an alloying material with germanium, a hard and lustrous metalloid.
- Because of the presence of germanium, Argentium silver offers much higher tarnish-resistance than regular sterling silver.
- Argentium silver rings are also significantly more durable than sterling silver rings.
- Even though it is much harder than regular sterling silver, Argentium silver is also more malleable and ductile. Argentium silver lends itself well to a variety of designs and is an excellent setting for gemstones like diamonds.
- Germanium gives Argentium silver a brilliant luster, and Argentium silver rings are visually brighter than other popular white metals like platinum and white gold.
- Due to its tarnish-resistance, Argentium silver is much lower maintenance than regular sterling silver. Argentium silver rings can easily be cleaned with a mild soap and water solution, and will not develop a blackened oxide layer often associated with sterling silver.
- Like the majority of sterling silver bands, Argentium silver rings are hypoallergenic and resizable.
Here is a small sample of our Argentium Silver ring collection. Shop all Argentium Silver rings here.